Prawn Pork Rolls (Hei Zhou)

When I came across this dish, it had lots of similarity with the dish my mom used to make during Chinese New Year. (I had published my mom's rolls on this blog). The difference between this and my mom's are the filling (my mom added pork liver which gives it the depth of pate), and this one fries each cut roll individually whereas my mom fries her rolls and then cut them up. Both as just as good. When I feel nostalgic, I make my mom's liver rolls. 





Ingredients: 
600g of prawns
600g of pork
3 whole eggs
2 tbs black soy sauce
2 tbs oyster sauce
1 tsp five spice powder
1 tbs salt
1 tbs fish powder
1 tbs cornflour
1 tsp sugar
1 cup coriander chopped
1 cup water chestnut coarsely chopped

For wrapping:
Bean curd skin (from the fridge section of the Asian grocery store)

For Frying:
Cornflower
Fill half a small pot with oil.

Method: 
Take half the prawns and smash them using a chopper knife and minced them up. Cut up the other half of prawns into pieces. When mixed together, you get to taste the prawns. 
Mix the rest of the ingredients together and set aside. 

Using a knife make a rectangle from the bean curd skin. If its too dry, wipe it over with wet towel. Spoon the filling and make a roll. Roll the skin with the filling to make like a large spring roll. Set aside. Repeat until all filling are used up. 

In a wok, fill up with hot water for steaming. Using a metal plate, spray with oil and steam a few Prawn Roll at a time. It should take approx. 15 mins. Set aside on a rack to dry. Repeat steaming all the rolls. I keep these rolls in the fridge overnight. 

Next day: Cut up the rolls into 1 inch bite pieces. Coat the pieces with corn flour. In a pot of hot oil, fry these pieces until golden brown. Remove, drain the oil and serve. Enjoy! 

Comments

Popular Posts