My Mom's Chinese New Year Mini Peanut Puffs




My mother made these every year for Chinese New Year. Although hers were much more smaller (I can't imagine how she did it), I never learned how to make them from her because she died when I was too young but I remembered how good they were. I decided this Chinese New Year to make them and my family loved them alot. Megan made me document this recipe for future reference.


Recipe:

Peanut filling: Buy peanut brittle from Asian store (usually they turned up during Chinese New Year). The asian peanut brittle is made from malt and less sweeter than the american version. Pound the peanut brittle till the peanuts resembles a coarse meal - 1 cup. Add 1/3 cup fine sugar. Set aside.


Dough:
5 cups of flour
1 tbs salt
10 tbs of ice cold water
1 cup of shortening
3 cups of vegetable oil for frying
Method:
Add lard to flour, salt. Cut it up into coarse meal. Add cold water to knead into a dough. Flour the kneading table. Roll out the dough and cut up 2 inches round. Fill each round with Peanut sugar filling above. Fold in half and seal with water. Take in the edges with thumb making a pattern.
Heat a pot of vegetable oil about to medium high. Fry each mini peanut puff until it turns golden light brown.

Comments

Popular Posts